Home Health Tips The effects of drugs on your body

The effects of drugs on your body

0
0
133
LAR

Drugs are basically, any chemical that you take which affects the way in which your body works. Sometimes, drugs can also directly affect the mind and distort a person’s awareness of what is going on around him/her. Due to this, a person under the influence of drugs is generally illogical, unusual and sometimes even violent and destructive.

While there are plenty of drugs available, the most common ones are caffeine, alcohol, nicotine and aspirin, to name a few. Determining exactly how long the effects of drugs can remain on your body depends on a number of different factors such as:

  • Height and weight
  • Physiological makeup
  • Amount of body fat
  • Age, state of health, body mass and hydration
  • Level of exercise
  • Stress and frequency of drug usage

Moving on to the specific types of drugs, here we take a look at drugs and the effect is has on our system.

Alcohol 

When you consume alcohol, the liver metabolizes 90% of it and the remaining 10% is eliminated through blood, urine and breath. Alcohol can stay for 3-5 days in urine,10-15 hours in the blood and as for as long as 90 days in the hair.

Alcohol interferes heavily with the brain’s communication and can adversely affect the way in which the brain works. This is why alcohol contributes to changes in behavior and mood, lack of coordination and an inability to think clearly. Consuming alcohol in large amounts can lead to coma and in some extreme cases, even death.

Nicotine

Did you know that it take just one milligram of nicotine for each stick of cigarette to stimulate the brain? This amount would be enough to cause an addiction to cigarette smoking-induced nicotine. When nicotine enters the system, it masks neurotransmitters, which are the brain chemicals that relate information throughout the body and brain. This cases an unusual production of dopamine, leading to euphoria.

If consumed in large concentrations, nicotine is neuro-toxic. Primarily, nicotine affects the nervous system and decreases appetite. Besides that, it also stimulates intestinal motility, increases blood pressure and heart rate and can result in nausea.

Cocaine

A very powerful addictive, cocaine produces a rush of euphoria that is generally combined with a surge of energy. Cocaine can be smoked, injected or even inhaled and the effects of it on the brain are practically immediate. The persistent use of cocaine causes it to be accumulated in the body and this leads to extended terminal elimination.

Cocaine increases the risk of strokes, heart attacks, seizures, breathing difficulties and even sudden death.

Methamphetamine

Also known as crank, crystal, speed and meth, methamphetamine is a stimulant that affects the central nervous system and activates the release of neurotransmitters. Consistent use of methamphetamine decreases appetite, causes extreme weight loss, hyperactivity, nausea, lack of sleep, delusions, bad temper and violence. Serious effects of this drug include confusion, hallucinations, insomnia, paranoia and anxiety. In extreme cases, this drug also causes convulsions that result in death.

Heroin

A very highly addictive narcotic, heroin is derived from a species of plant from which poppy seeds and opium are derived. Heroin causes feelings of sedation and euphoria all within mere seconds or minutes of consuming it. The body gets rid of heroin soon, generally within eight minutes.

Common effects of heroin include collapsed or scarred veins, infections in the heart valves, blood vessels and soft-tissue infections. It also leads to kidney and liver diseases. Another common condition of heroin intake is lung complications. Besides this, sharing of fluids or needles could results in AIDS, hepatitis and other blood-borne viruses.

Amphetamines

This drug stimulates the central nervous system and gives a rush of energy and sharpened mental focus. When consumed over a long period of time, amphetamines can become extremely problematic.  Some effects of it include violent behavior, aggression, paranoia, hostility, emotional numbing, anxiety, depression, social anxiety, fatigue, convulsions and hallucinations where one hears conversations and voices that are not real.

728x90

Facebook Comments
Load More Related Articles
Load More In Health Tips
Comments are closed.

Check Also

Online Writing

Anyone wishing to become a writer these days can do so with the aid of a computer and a co…